Monday, June 13, 2011

Life Lesson : Humility

Ever feel like you’re on the verge of something great. That one shift of the wind is all that it’ll take to put you on the track to prominence?  This is when the universe tests if you’ve learned the art of humility, the quality of being modest or respectful.
I found that out the hard way a few years ago. I had prided myself on never having a broken bone. One day, I was reflecting on how happy I was to finally be moving from the place that I was living in at the time. I stepped off the bus wrong and, yes, sprained my ankle.
That wasn’t the worst part. On the second bus, as I was on my way to the ER, I ran into the guy that I was dating at the time. Did he get off the bus to help me? No.  I broke up with him the next day and he didn’t seem to understand why.
I’m reminded of this recently. No, I haven’t bragged about anything but I wonder if I’m applying this practice to EVERY area of my life.  Am I being respectful of what I already have? Why am I praying and asking and yelling about thing that the universe has already granted me?
One of my goals was that I had wanted to work from home. Recently, I looked up and realized that I was doing it. The problem: I forgot to mention that I’d need enough money to cover my bills. Slowly, I watched my saving account drain down to zero and now I wonder if maybe I’m doing this wrong…
But, maybe I’m not. Maybe I’m being challenged to see if I will still be humble of this change when things get rough. Am I willing to stay the course and ride out the storm or will I abandon ship and immediately find another job, when that’s not what I asked for?

No comments:

Post a Comment